Bacon Carmel Apple Poptart with Bacon Bourbon Maple Syrup Icing
First make pie crust:
1/3 cup lard
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 cup ice cold water
Sift the flour and salt together in a large bowl. Cut the lard and butter into the flour using a fork or cutter until the fat pieces are the size of peas.
Add water gradually, gently mixing with your hands until dough hold together. Do not over mix or the crust will be tough. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill before using. (For a pop tart, you can work the dough a little more, so that it can handle being picked up.)
While your dough is chilling...
Cook 8 slices of bacon to a nice crisp and then drain on paper towel.
Chop into small pieces.
1.Roll out dough into two rectangles. Sprinkle bacon on the top. (Use off the bacon) Roll the bacon into the dough.
Cut out the four rectangle bases of pop tart
Spread the bases with a thin coat of caramel sauce. (Either homemade or store bought) Go quite close to the edge. You want your first bite to be full of apple caramel goodness.
- Cut up 1 peeled apple in thin slices and toss with sugar and a touch of cinnamon. Arrange on the bases.
- Divide the remaining bacon in half. Sprinkle one half on top of apples.
- Top each rectangles with tops and seal edges.
- Place poptarts on a parchment lined baking sheet and then bake in a preheated 350F oven for about 30 minutes.
- Make icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 T. BLiS Bourbon Maple Syrup the rest of bacon
Mix in a bowl. Add more syrup if you want to make it thinner.
- After poptarts are cooled. Ice each pop tart. Serve .