Fava Beans and Asparagus with Whipped Chèvre
Saveur Magazine Serves 4 Ingredients
2 cups fava beans
8 stalks asparagus, trimmed, peeled, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
1 teaspoon BLiS Elixir
(or reduced balsamic vinegar)
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon champagne vinaigrette (recipe follows)
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 oz. chèvre
Salt and freshly ground black pepper for serving Directions
1. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a rolling boil. While water reaches boiling point, prepare ice bath.
2. Blanch fava beans in boiling water for 3 minutes then, using a slotted spoon, transfer to ice bath. Blanch asparagus in boiling water for 1 minute, transfer to ice bath.
3. In a small bowl, toss together fava beans and asparagus, in the vinaigrette, season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. In a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and chèvre on medium speed until light and fluffy, season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. To assemble the dish, divide whipped cheese evenly by neatly spooning a mound in the center of each plate.
6. Dent each mound, forming a crater deep enough to hold ¼ teaspoon of Blis Elixir followed by 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
7. Arrange the dressed favas and asparagus onto each cheese plate and season with coarsely ground black pepper. Serve Immediately. Tip:
Recipe can be made 1 day ahead of time and kept refrigerated until ready to assemble. Bring to room temperature before serving. Note:
Yields: 1¾ cups To make the champagne vinaigrette:
1 cup champagne vinegar
¹/₃ cup honey
¹/₃ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice Method
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a nonreactive bowl, adding the honey last to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the bowl.
2. Whisk vigorously until combined. Saveur.com Recipe