Fava Beans and Asparagus with Whipped Chèvre
Entrée's & Sides
Featuring BLiS Elixer XO Sherry Vinegar
By Colby Garrelts - Saveur Magazine
Enjoy the contrast of crunchy freshness of the Fava Bean and Asparagus contrasted with the Whipped Chèvre
Fava Beans and Asparagus Salad Ingredients
- 2 cups fava beans
- 8 stalks asparagus, trimmed, peeled, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon BLiS Elixer Sherry Vinegar (or reduced balsamic vinegar)
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon champagne vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz. chèvre
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper for serving
Fava Beans and Asparagus Salad Directions
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a rolling boil. While water reaches boiling point, prepare ice bath.
- Blanch fava beans in boiling water for 3 minutes then, using a slotted spoon, transfer to ice bath. Blanch asparagus in boiling water for 1 minute, transfer to ice bath.
- In a small bowl, toss together fava beans and asparagus, in the vinaigrette, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and chèvre on medium speed until light and fluffy, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble the dish, divide whipped cheese evenly by neatly spooning a mound in the center of each plate.
- Dent each mound, forming a crater deep enough to hold ¼ teaspoon of Blis Elixir followed by 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Arrange the dressed favas and asparagus onto each cheese plate and season with coarsely ground black pepper. Serve Immediately.
Tip: Recipe can be made 1 day ahead of time and kept refrigerated until ready to assemble. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Note: Yields: 1¾ cups
To make the champagne vinaigrette:
- 1 cup champagne vinegar
- ¹/₃ cup honey
- ¹/₃ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Combine all of the ingredients in a nonreactive bowl, adding the honey last to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the bowl.
- Whisk vigorously until combined.
Photo Copyright: Valentina Gabdrakipova/123rf.com