This quick and tasty recipe was made in collaboration with The Chef's Garden.
For the Pâte Brisée:
- 1 1/4 cup AP Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 c ice water
For the root vegetables:
- 2 Baby beets; Golden and Candy Striped, washed and sliced into 3/8” thick rounds
- 1 Baby sweet potato, washed and sliced into 3/8” thick rounds
- 2 Baby carrots, washed and sliced into 3/8” thick rounds
- ¼ cup butter melted
- Kosher salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
For the BLiS™ #9 Sherry Wine Vinegar caramel:
- 1 sheet of parchment paper
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary,
- sage, thyme, or verbena
- 1 10-inch flat bottom round pie pan
- 4 oz aged cheese, finely grated
For the Pâte Brisée:
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, salt, and sugar. Add butter, and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, 8 to 10 seconds.
- With the machine running, add ice water in a slow, steady stream through the feed tube. Pulse until dough holds together without being wet or sticky; be careful not to process more than 30 seconds.
- To test, squeeze a small amount together: If it is crumbly, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Form into a ball and flatten into a disc. Wrap in plastic. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill for at least 1 hour before sheeting. Dough may be stored, frozen, up to 1 month.
- Place a rack on the second lowest shelf of your oven; preheat to 400°.
For the vegetables:
- Toss the beets, sweet potatoes, and carrots, with butter, salt and pepper on a parchment lined baking sheet. Arrange the vegetables in a single layer.
- Roast until lightly browned around the edges and fork tender, 30–35 minutes. Meanwhile, work on the caramel.
For the caramel:
- Cut a cartouche from parchment paper to fit the bottom of your pie pan or cast iron pan.
- While the vegetables are still cooking combine the sugar and 2 Tablespoons of water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the caramel is amber colored (345-348ºf), 5–7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully add the vinegar and a pinch of salt. Stir gently to combine.
- Prepare the bottom and sides of the pie pan with a brush of olive oil. Add the parchment cartouche. Press flat to the bottom. Pour the hot caramel into a 10” diameter pie pan; tilt and rotate pan to evenly coat bottom with caramel. Use the back of a spoon to assist if necessary.
- Scatter the chopped herbs over top.
- Arrange beets, sweet potatoes, and carrots snugly in a single layer on top of the caramel. Use smaller carrot pieces to fill in any negative space. Scatter the aged cheese over the vegetables.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a 12” round. Drape over the vegetables, tucking edges into pan. Dock the dough all over with a fork. Bake until the crust looks dry, about 20 minutes; reduce heat to 350° and bake until crust is golden brown, 15–20 minutes.
- Let tart cool 5 minutes before inverting carefully onto a large plate. Cut into 4 or 8 slices.
To order The Chef's Garden vegetables listed in this recipe, visit The Chef's Garden website by clicking here!