Starters & Finishes
Featuring BLiS Bourbon Maple Syrup
& Hardwood Smoked Fleur de Sel
by Blīcher Creature Aiden VossCandied Pecans Ingredientsto be made ahead of time
- 1 1/2 c pecan pieces
- 1/4 t BLiS Hardwood Smoked Salt
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1/4 t cardamom
- 1/3 c BLiS Bourbon Barrel Maple Syrup
Candied Pecans Process
- Combine all ingredients, mix well.
- Taste - if too dry add more syrup.
- Spread to a single layer of nuts that are touching but not stacked on parchment paper and put in the dehydrator for 15 hours, or in an oven on lowest temperature until dry and crunchy.
- Set aside.
White Spice Buttermilk Cake Ingredients
White Spice Buttermilk Cake Process
- 10 oz bread flour
- 4 oz cake flour
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 4 t ground cardamom
- 1 t ground ginger
- 1/2 t ground white pepper
- 10 oz unsalted butter, room temp
- 10 oz sugar
- 4 eggs, room temp
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 2 t finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 c buttermilk
- Butter and flour two loaf pans or two round pans.
- Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, ginger, and white pepper - Reserve.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until the mixture is light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs, 2 at a time.
- Add vanilla and lemon zest. Stir in the dry ingredients in 2 additions, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Divide the batter between the two pans.
- Bake the cakes at 350°F for approx. 50 mins - or until they are golden brown and baked through.
- Let the cakes cool in the pan for 10 mins then unfold onto a rack and let cool completely.
- Slice the cakes in half horizontally once cool.
Classic Bavarian Cream Ingredients
Classic Bavarian Cream Process
- 8 egg yolks
- 8 oz sugar
- 2 T un-flavored gelatin powder 1/2 c cold water
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 c whole milk
- 2 c heavy cream
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Whip yolks and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Sprinkle gelatin powder over the cold water and set aside to soften.
- Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out seeds, saving pods.
- Put seeds and pods in a pot with the milk and heat it until scalding.
- Gradually pour the hot milk into the egg and sugar mixture, whisking all the while as not to curdle the eggs with hot milk.
- Return the whole mixture to the pot and bring back up to the scalding point while constantly stirring. It should not get lumpy but should thicken a bit. Do not boil. 4)
- Take off heat and remove vanilla pods, stir in gelatin and vanilla extract. Let the custard cool to body temperature.
- While cooling, whip the cream to soft peaks.
- When custard is cool fold it into the cream.
- Periodically whisk the bavarian cream to prevent lumps from forming as it begins to set. If still liquid, put in the freezer for a few minutes, whisking often.
- Once firm enough to spread, put Bavarian cream on bottom half of cake and put in the freezer for a few minutes.
- Take out and place top half of cake on top, slightly pushing down to be sure it stays.
- Return to freezer for ten minutes, then to fridge.
Maple Reduction Sauce Process
To Assemble the Plate
- Put 1/2 c BLiS Bourbon Barrel Maple Syrup in a pot on the stove and reduce down until a thicker consistency, about 10-15 minutes.
- Do as you like.
- I like to put syrup on the bottom of the plate, and/or over cake.
- Sprinkle nuts around.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream on top of the cake, a pinch of salt on top of the cream and a little nutmeg grated over cream as well.
- Sprinkle Hardwood Smoked Salt around on top of the Maple Sauce :)